This is the bee I that I mentioned in my previous post. Since it wasn’t as sharply focused as I would have liked (read week 30 post), I decided to apply an effect that makes the image very softly focused and then masked the bee from the effect. I think it looks better.
I found a dead ladybug so I though it would be fun to photograph. The lens I shot this with is very hard to use. It is a manual focus lens, but not like other lenses where you turn the focus ring. You have to move the lens toward or away from the subject to focus at the highest magnification, which is 5x actual size. I have a focus rail that moves forward and back which should make it easier but I really need get a second one that also make it move side to side. I tried to do something interesting with the ladybug but I got tired and frustrated with the whole setup…so this is all I’ve got to show for now. Actually…it looks better here then I thought it would.
This shot was taken at the Sussex County Sunflower Maze early Saturday morning. I originally went on Friday morning and when I was leaving I asked if they every open early for photographers to shoot in the “golden light” (they usually open at 10 am). They said they were opening up at 7 am on Saturday so back I went the next day. Not only was the light so much better to shoot the sunflowers in, but everything was covered with glistening dew drops for at least a hour of shooting.
When I went into the garage this morning, I couldn’t understand why there was a small pickle on the floor. I discovered it wasn’t a pickle, but a huge caterpillar measuring 3.75 inches. It will become an Imperial Moth. You can find more info about this caterpillar here